Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lincoln's 1st Birthday Party!

For Lincoln's first Birthday we did a little monkey theme and had family over for his party, it was way fun, all but the cake anyway...


O.K. I am so not a cake decorator, I found this cute little monkey cake and thought it would be so fun, so I decided to make it ALL from scratch. I seriously don't know what I was thinking, and for any of you that think this cake looks half descent, what you don't realize is that it took me almost 7 freaking hours!!! I know that's ridiculous, which is why I am officially resigning from ever making these cutesy cakes ever again, it's so not my thing, I would rather waste my time on anything less stressful and that doesn't just get eaten! and my poor kids got neglected all day, Lincoln was so anwery when everyone finally got here because I had not picked him up once all day! After everything that could possibly go wrong, did, Justin finally came home to the house a total disaster and said "maybe you shouldn't make cakes" I was like uh, yah think? I finally got it finished about 10 minutes before everyone showed up and we cut right into it. What a waste! Really, I'm sure Lincoln really even cared about his cake anyway!
I also made these little monkey cupcakes. (they weren't as bad as the dang cake but still time consuming!)
Eating his Birthday cake!
Forget the fork, it wasn't doing the job!
Lincoln literally licked his plate clean! Hey, at least the cake was yummy!
All the kids signing Stockton's cast, he broke his leg sledding and had just gotten his cast on that day. ( Jett was obsessed he had 20 ?'s about how he broke it down to what he was wearing and what kind of sled he was on when he broke it!)
The kids breaking the pinata ( that would be Justin's hand trying to dodge the bat because we we couldn't figure out how to hang it up in the house.)
Wait linc... the pinata's over here.
Playing with his new presents.
New Superman jammies and a mower :)

13 comments:

jessica said...

This was a great post Ashley! And informative to me in particular trying to decide what to do for Gunnar's 1st bday next month. Have to say I love the monkey theme and cake! So so cute...it would have taken me twice as long! ha! You are a great Mom! Live and learn about these things hu? At least he loved eating it! What a cutie! I was checking out his toys too, trying to decide what to get for Gunnar! Thanks :) jes

(oh and yes we should totally get our boys together some day soon!)

Sid and Michelle said...

I think the cake looks awesome!!! you should have taken pictures of your kitchen... I would have loved to see it. We wish we could have been there!!

melissa said...

I think the cake looks great! I would have loved to see the kitchen too.

Glad Lincoln had a Happy Birthday!

Jenni said...

Incredible cake Ashley. It seriously is cute. I know what you mean about the cutsie cakes. Every year my kids pick something that makes me cringe! Lincoln is such a cute little guy!

Jillian said...

YOu are brave, i would have never had the motivation to do that... it turned out so cute! Lincoln looks so cute, i am glad to see he had a fun birthday

Jodi said...

The cake turned out really cute, but I don't think that I would have the patient for that. What a cute theme with the monkeys to. I can't believe Linc is already one.

-Amy- said...

Look at you MARTHA!!haha That cake is so stinkin cute even if it did take you 7 hours to do!haha I left you a comment on your last post about pictures when you come. Call me!

Candace said...

Looks like a fun party and I am very impressed with the cake!! Lincoln is such a cute little boy.

-Amy- said...

Hi Ash...I never got an email from you. When did you send it?

Rich and Tyra said...

Oh that cake turned out way cute! I hear ya tho, I tried making a guitar cake for Rich once and have never tried it again. I have been thinking about making Saige's this year tho but now I am giving it second thoughts!!! I found a super cute one that is a mermaid cake. Maybe I will have to make a practice one so that if it ends up taking too long I can just forget it and not have to deal with it on her big day! My sister is so good at doing cakes. Maybe I will have her come help me. Ha Ha. His party looked super cute! I can't believe he is walking around! Greyson isn't even pulling himself up to anything yet. I think I will get the little free cake from Wal mart for him for his 1st birthday...That little people airplane is a good idea for a gift!

Dave and Alisha said...

I dont belive that you wont make a cake like that again... you like that kinda stuff and your good at it! So keep it up you will get better:)

Janalee Hubbard said...

I am laughing about your cake experience, because I have been there!! I did one of those molds for a first birthday and never again! Your cake was seriously cute though! Looks like a fun week of partying!

houseofgirlsandjohn said...

I gave up on making birthday cakes almost 7 years ago when Brilynn's first birthday cake was a huge flop and I spent way to much money on it. Plus she ended up dialing 911 while I Atleast yours turned out. Very cute!!!