Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Trip to the E.R.

So yesterday I had my first experience with stitches, now I know to some of you who have probably had them several times it's no big deal, but I am one of those people who has never broken anything or ever been cut badly enough to even go to the doctor nor has my husband(since we have been married anyway)or any of my kids,up until this point. I guess 30 years of no major accidents in my lifetime it was about due time. and to be completely honest(for those of you who know Jett) I am really surprised he has seriously made it almost five years without one of these incidents. Anyway, at the park yesterday, Jett was riding a bike and I'm still not sure what happened, I just saw him biff it pretty hard. By the time I got over to him and saw his finger I could tell it didn't look good, it was cut pretty bad and I could see the whole finger nail bed sticking out. So I left Lincoln with a friend and headed to the hospital (Jett screamed the whole way there and kept saying he didn't want stitches he just wanted the doctor to super glue it) :) We had x-rays done and it didn't look broken so that was good, but then he had to have two big shots to numb the finger and that was not so good :( I knew he was in ALOT of pain when he turned down a popsicle and a sucker(some of you know, the kid would never turn candy down) They ended up removing the whole finger nail cleaning out the cut and sewing the fingernail back into the finger(literally put the needle through the nail and then through the finger)UGH!!! I teased Jett it was like when Mom gets fake finger nails on, because the whole finger nail, just laying on the table, looked like one of those long plastic fake nails they glue on. It was pretty gross. In the middle of the night the pain medication wore off and he woke up crying and this morning it has been hurting alot I don't think the Tylenol and Motrin are cutting it, but I think we are well on our way to recovery. I know it could have been alot worse and I am so thankful it wasn't, but it is just heart breaking to have to watch one of your kids go through something like this, you just wish it could be you in their place. I just felt so bad for the little guy.


the splint covers most of the damage but you can still see a little on the side (sorry for the graphic, but someday I know he will probably think this is cool!)

10 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Poor Jett! Although thanks for the post, I am becoming queezy in my old age and I don't even have kids yet, I totally need to learn how to handle all that blood, and barf stuff or when I do become a mom, there is no way I will survive!

Sid and Michelle said...

oh my heck!! I can't believe that!! Oh wait... yes I can. tell Jett we will have to take him to get a snowcone for being so tough!!! Have fun in New York if I don't talk to you before you leave!!!!

melissa said...

I am proud of Jett, I would have been in pieces if I was him. Tell him it is VERY super-hero of him to be so strong! All super heroes get battle wounds!

Jodi said...

Oh no! Poor kid, hopefully it starts feeling better soon. I have to say i am suprised something like this hasn't happened to him before he has been pretty lucky!

Rich and Tyra said...

Aww! Poor kid!!! That is SO not fun!!!!! I am in for it with Misha, she is my accident prone one. She has had stitches and always seems to be the one getting injured. It is good he has made it so long without anything! Glad it wasn't worse! Still, not fun at all!

jessica said...

Oh my gosh! One of Ashton's little friends just went to the ER for the same thing (his was from a rock smashing his finger), but he had to have the same thing done! Poor little guy!
What? You're going to New York?? Kids or no kids? So fun! Yes email me when you get back so you can tell me all about it and we can finally try to get together!

Hayley said...

Poor little guy! That looks terrible!

-Amy- said...

Oh my gosh Ash!!! I was cringing as I read this! Poor Jett:( I hope he gets feeling better soon!

Andy and Brooke said...

OMG! Poor kid. I have heard those shots in the hand are aweful! I hope he gets feelin better!

Janalee Hubbard said...

Ow, Ow, OW!!! I know it hurt you as much as it hurt Jett!